Higher Education in France

drapeau franceIn France, the higher education system is very accessible and virtually free in all non-private schools; hence, even students with limited or inadequate financials can receive the same higher education as those far better equipped. Due to this, 78% of students who obtain their high school baccalaureate pursue a higher education, while the other 22% specialize in mechanics and technology for their baccalaureate to immediately pursue a job.8ba235_193a13f33c944eea80b7dc36094b9619

Despite these indisputable benefits, the higher education system in France is not infallible. Most of these free, accessible public schools are not as recognized as the private institutions. This discrepancy has led to the creation of two parallel systems—public and free or private and costly—with different application processes. Because of this, future applicants find the system rather complex and ambiguous.

8ba235_642e0ba6f11f4fec885134b9ad828222Educationally, all fields of study are offered to students, from medicine to economy to philosophy. Classes take place in large amphitheater-like auditoriums (which can often hold up to 1000 people). French tradition encourages students to write extensively, written commonly being more emphasized than oral, which shows that French higher education is manifestly in line with French high school courses. In fact, the French high school system is among those with the most hours of class, and which require their students to write the most. Not to mention the infamous, endless dissertations!

by Emma P.